Who doesn’t love the feeling of a clean mouth right after visiting the dentist’s office? But we can’t visit the dentist every day for professional teeth cleaning, which means we must implement and maintain a good oral health routine at home to keep that feeling of freshness every day. So what can we do to look after our teeth between visits to the dentist?
Here are five tips for enhancing your oral health routine at home:
- Brush your teeth twice a day using fluoride toothpaste.
- Refresh yourself on proper brushing technique to get the most out of your brushing – remember to hold the bristles against your teeth, tilt them at a 45-degree angle to your gums and move the bristles in a circular motion as you clean all surfaces of your teeth.
- Brush your tongue as bacteria lives there too.
- Replace your toothbrush regularly, at least once every three months and when the bristles of your toothbrush are worn past that point of cleaning effectively.
- Floss once per day to clean the areas of your teeth and gum line that a toothbrush simply can’t reach – be sure to ask your dental team about the best flossing method to use and let your dentist know if your gums bleed or you experience pain while flossing.
- Avoid excessively sugary foods and beverages to reduce acid in the mouth – remember that lowering the number of heavily sugared drinks you consume throughout the day by replacing them with water will benefit both your mouth and your health in general.
So, you can see from the tips above that it doesn’t take much time or effort to maintain a good oral health routine at home to keep that feeling of freshness in between visits to your dentist.