Summer is almost here, which means it’s the perfect time for getting your teeth whitened as you enjoy the sun, surf and beaches.
What is in-chair teeth whitening?
In-chair teeth whitening is a non-invasive dental treatment that lightens natural teeth and removes stains and discolouration, leading to the appearance of whiter, brighter teeth. Teeth whitening is the one of the most popular and quickest cosmetic dental procedures, helping you achieve a whiter smile within a 30-60 minute dental appointment.
3LT Smart Bleach Teeth Whitening
We use 3LT Smart Bleaching is the world’s most advanced teeth whitening system to achieve a long-lasting pearly-white smile in less than one hour. It uses pure green non-laser light to activate the red alkaline gel applied on the teeth, ensuring a highly effective yet gentle teeth whitening treatment.
3LT Smart Bleaching is the perfect option for those with mild staining or yellowing on their teeth, such as from aging, smoking, or dietary habits.
Why does 3LT deliver better results?
3LT Smart Bleaching is a newer higher-quality treatment which lasts a much longer time of 3-5 years, as it stabilises smaller molecules in the tooth and stops them from reforming into large ones. 3LT also has a lower chair time of 45-60 minutes, no dehydration is involved, there is minimal sensitivity during and after the procedure, and best of all, the results of a whiter, brighter smile are visible immediately post-treatment.
How does in-chair teeth whitening work?
- Your dentist will assess if you are suitable for treatment.
- A protective substance or gel is placed on the gums around the teeth.
- Whitening agent is applied directly onto the teeth and heat is used, a special light or laser, to activate/accelerate the whitening agent. The product usually contains hydrogen peroxide, a powerful chemical which bleaches your teeth.
When is in-chair teeth whitening used?
In-chair teeth whitening is an ideal solution for people wanting instant results. It is also an appropriate treatment for people whose tooth enamel are worn or stained by:
- aging over time
- poor oral hygiene
- the consumption of food and drinks such as tea, coffee or wine
- teeth trauma
What are the benefits of in-chair teeth whitening?
- Stronger whitening – Whitening products used by dentists contain stronger concentrations of hydrogen peroxide than off-the-shelf or take-home products. This guarantees a brighter shade of white within a thorough 30-60 minute dental treatment.
- Stronger tooth enamel – Research also suggests in-chair teeth whitening increases the strength of enamel, making it more resistant to acid erosion. Meanwhile, take-home whitening was shown to decrease mineral content within enamel, leading to weakness over time.
- Safer, more reliable treatment – Dentists supervise the treatment, ensuring a guided and comfortable experience.
- Protection – Dentists typically use a rubber shield to protect the gums from the whitening product.
- Customised, versatile treatment – Dentists control the amount of whitening that occurs according to whitening preference, such as how much and which areas need you need it the most. Dentists can also better match the types of stains with the best treatments, leading to better results.
- No mouth trays – Dentists apply the whitening agent directly onto the teeth so that the use of mouth trays, such as those provided by take-home and off-the-shelf whitening kits, are unnecessary.
Side effects of in-chair teeth whitening
- Sensitivity – Some people may experience sensitive teeth to cold during or after the treatment.
- Discomfort – Some people may also have a sore throat or gums, or white patches on the gum line. However, these symptoms are often temporary and should disappear within a few days of the finished treatment.
If you find these side effects continue, you should consult your dentist.
How long does in-chair teeth whitening last?
The effects of in-chair teeth whitening last up to 3 years. However, this can vary from person to person. Lifestyle habits such as smoking, along with dietary habits such as consuming foods and drinks that stain the teeth, make the effects of teeth whitening less likely to last.
- Teeth whitening is not suitable for pregnant or breast-feeding women.
- Teeth whitening is not permanent. The degree of whiteness will vary from person to person depending on the condition of the teeth, the type of whitening system used, or the procedure and product administered.
- Teeth whitening will only work on natural teeth and extrinsic stains on the tooth enamel. The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm if you are suitable.
Teeth Whitening Northern Beaches
At Sydney Road Dental Care, we love making Manly smile. If you’d like to get your teeth whitened, our dentists will take care of you and ensure a safe and comfortable experience.
To learn more or book an appointment, visit: https://sydneyroaddentalcare.com.au/services/teeth-whitening/.
If you’d like to learn more about the cosmetic dental procedures we provide, visit: https://sydneyroaddentalcare.com.au/services/cosmetic-dentistry/.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.