What does Invisalign do – and not do? Invisalign explained
Curious about Invisalign? If you have ever looked into ways to straighten your teeth, you will likely have come across Invisalign. But what does Invisalign do exactly? And, more importantly, what does it not do?
Let’s look at what Invisalign can treat in this useful Q&A, so you understand more about this type of teeth straightening treatment, its limitations, and whether it is suitable for you.
Sydney Road Dental Care is an Invisalign Platinum Provider. Awarded only to cosmetic dentists with extensive experience in Invisalign treatment, it is your peace of mind that we have the ability and expertise to transform your smile using this revolutionary technique, as quickly as we can and in the most cost-effective way.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a treatment that re-aligns and straightens your teeth. It involves using a series of custom trays, known as aligners, that fit over your teeth. The aligners gradually move your teeth into a straight position over many months.
Lots of people choose Invisalign because it is discreet and comfortable, especially if you are straightening your smile later in life and want an ‘invisible’ solution for the workplace, social situations, and at home. Many people also prefer to have a removable straightening treatment. Unlike fixed metal braces, Invisalign aligners can be taken out for eating, drinking, and teeth cleaning.
What does Invisalign do?
Invisalign can fix a wide range of common teeth and smile problems. It can:
- Move and straighten teeth
- Be used as an alternative to traditional braces, depending on your teeth issues
- Close gaps between teeth
- Reduce tooth wear
- Reduce the chance of gum disease and dental decay caused by misaligned teeth
- Improve your bite
- Improve oral health
- Move teeth into correct position ready for veneers or dental implants
What does Invisalign not do?
If you are considering Invisalign, to manage your expectations and avoid disappointment, it’s important to know that Invisalign:
- Does not change the shape of your teeth
- Does not whiten your teeth
- Cannot work if you have any cavities, infection, or gum disease – these must be treated first
- Is not effective unless your aligner is worn for many hours every day – around 22 hours a day for optimum results
- Is not a quick treatment – aligners must be worn for at least 1 week before moving onto the next tray
- Must be planned and monitored by an experienced Invisalign dentist throughout treatment to get the required results
- Requires regular appointment attendance
- Will only work if you maintain good oral hygiene and have a good diet
- Cannot totally replace braces – depending on the severity of teeth misalignment, Invisalign may not be suitable to move your teeth into place.
Should I have Invisalign?
If you just want to straighten your teeth, then Invisalign may be the only solution you need. But if you need to correct misshapen teeth or want to whiten your teeth too, you will also need other cosmetic dental procedures to achieve your smile goals.
Invisalign can be used in combination with many other cosmetic treatments, like veneers, dental implants, and whitening.
We will discuss your likely outcome at your initial Invisalign consultation, so you can understand the complete treatment journey that will be required to create the sparkling straight smile that you are aiming for.
What does Invisalign do: Learn more and see a preview of your straight teeth with Sydney Road Dental Care
If you want to know more about Invisalign, come and see one of our friendly cosmetic dentists for a no-obligation consultation. We will explain whether Invisalign will work for you and can even show you a preview of what your teeth will look like after Invisalign treatment, using a state-of-the-art simulation tool.
We will also talk you through prices and Invisalign package options, including available payment plans to help make your Invisalign treatment journey affordable.
Book your consultation online here or call us on (02) 9977 2442.